Friday, May 06, 2011

My child the genius

I forgot to write about the Parent-Teacher Conference I had with Ellie's preschool teacher last Friday. It was pretty basic, but she did mention that Ellie has mastered addition and subtraction and can now do double digits and carry over numbers. Yeah, yeah, math is boring. What really caught my attention was she said Ellie is now reading. Say what? I read to the child every night and she has never once given me any indication that she could read. So, I pulled out some beginning reader books and, sure enough, Ellie was sounding out all the words. I guess I need to start having her read to ME!

Although I didn't have anything to do with teaching Ellie math and reading, I did teach her what the speed limit signs mean. BIG MISTAKE. Ever time we pass a sign, Ellie will have to yell from the back seat, "Mom, go 40! Are you going 40? Go 40!" And if I don't respond and tell her that I am going 40 (or whatever the sign says) then she will just keep repeating herself over and over. Have you ever noticed how many speed limit signs there are? Because there are A LOT of them!

1 comment:

Cody said...

Sounds like she's better than those speed cameras they have! Though just wait 11 more years and it will all be reversed!