Wednesday, October 21, 2009
Update from the walking zombie
Things have been pretty eventful around here. Jack's jaundice is not getting better. He spent Friday thru Sunday strapped to bilirubin lights only to discover that his levels actually increased. We have had to take him to the doctor's office every day so they can prick his heel and milk out blood. Hate it. Every time I walk in there, I am so paranoid he will pick up some disease. Now they have us going to the hospital to do it as an outpatient thing and every time I go I have to fill out the exact same stack of papers, the same papers they use to admit someone to the hospital. So annoying. I get a break today and then am taking him back tomorrow. And I can't drive (doctor's orders) so my mom is acting as chauffeur. It is stressful, but I am thankful that for the most part he seems really strong and healthy. Holy cow is this kid strong. He has been lifting his head and looking around since birth. He pushes up off me and even rolled to his side on the changing table. He also had regained his birth weight just two days out of the hospital on account of him being a champion nurser. Is this the face of a newborn? Doesn't he look like a month old and not a week old?

Ellie does great with Jack. She is so gentle and genuinely seems to love him. We stopped by Target on our way back from the doctor yesterday and I stepped away from the stroller for a second to get something off the shelf. A lady happened to be standing near the stroller and Ellie said to her in a loud, protective voice, "Excuse me, but this is MY baby!" And then she took the stroller and attempted to wheel it away. So adorable. Not so adorable is her attitude with everyone else. She has morphed into a rebellious teen. She doesn't listen, she talks back, and she comes up with some incredibly hurtful things to say that leaves Tom and I bewildered as to where on earth she could have learned that. My mom has been amazing with her, showering her with attention, but what she really needs is my attention. I try, but between all of Jack's appointments, his hour long nursing sessions, and just trying to recover from surgery, I don't have the time I used to. I have been trying to make a real effort, though. I know it is a huge adjustment for her. Speaking of, I better go play with her because it sounds like her cupcake making session with my mom is over!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
9 comments:
i like your new blog header! jack is so cute and you're right--he does look older than a week in that picture!
don't feel guilty about ellie acting out. it is a big adjustment for her, but she will eventually adjust! they all do!
He is absolutely adorable! I hope the jaundice clears soon!
I also hope you get a good nap!
oh jack looks so adorable!! don't worry you'll have time for them both soon enough. Just take it easy. as daniel always reminds me, "things will just work out" and he's right they always do.
Oh my gosh! He is so freakin cute!!!!
Jack is adorable. He definetly looks older than a week - Derek was the same way. Sorry about all the jaundice stuff, hang in there.
he has such a precious face!!! So cute!! That's cute too about Ellie being so over protective! Sorry about the other though! That's rough, and the jaundice going in and out too. Hope there's a light at the end of the tunnel for you soon :)
Oh wow it has been ages and you have a new edition!! He is just gorgeous :)
Too cute! I can't wait to hold him!
Our Ellie is behaving the exact same way. Like all the sudden she is older and has a terrible smart mouth. She is also saying awful things to me like "Cooper looks dead" when he's sleeping. It just catches me off guard and I think, where the heck did you learn that? She is also telling me often the she is sad and that she doesn't know why. This breaks my heart! Ugh. It is so hard. You are so lucky to have your mom there cooking, cleaning and watching Ellie. I am so jealous! And yeah, I was so nervous to also be with 2 whole kids (!) but like you it went surprisingly well for me the first time. Honestly Cooper is much easier right now to care for than Ellie!
Gosh I feel like we have so much in common with these kids! When Cooper was born I also felt like he instantly could hold his head up and that he was so strong. I just think it seems different with a boy. Like he's heartier, stronger, etc. He weighed 8 lbs 6 oz at birth and already 6 weeks later is 11 lbs 15 oz! Huge I tell ya.
Take care!!
Post a Comment