This morning at 4:30am, as I sat in my glider nursing Jack, I thought about my birthday and how I was always excited about my birthdays in the past. I never understood why some people hated their birthdays because it was a reminder that they were getting older. I never felt like that because I never felt old. Until this year. Then, Tom's alarm clock went off and he rolled over and whispered across the room to me, "Happy birthday, babe. How are you feeling?" I told him I felt old. That my stomach was saggy with stretch marks. That I had gray hair, hemorrhoids, and an incision that wouldn't heal. (I know, I'm a catch aren't I?) (And yet Tom still tells me every day how attractive I am...go figure.) (Also, I totally realize that I am using these parentheses wrong. Sorry, Mrs. Jenkins.)
So, after listening to me talk about why I feel so old, Tom responds with his standard, "You're beautiful, babe" and gets out of bed to shower. What happens next fully deserves a more detailed post, but I feel I overshare as it is so I will just tell you that we spent the next 15 minutes accusing each other of pooing in the bed until I finally flipped on the light and realized it was just a purple fruit snack that had been smeared around (thanks, Ellie) (Also, we are very sleep deprived) (Ack! Again with the misused parentheses!).
Anyway, after Tom left for work, I lay in bed with Jack snuggled up to against my chest, making his little happy humming noises. Suddenly, I felt so very content and I realized...31 is going to be awesome.
9 comments:
You are awesome Holly! I feel the same way about age, it hasn't bothered me -- yet (i'm sure I'll reach the year that it does). It might not be the best to have a baby right before a birthday though. That somehow makes you feel soooo much older.
hee hee love the poo story. you are totally not old and tom's right you really are beautiful!!
funny story. You're not old -- especially since I've got a good year or two on you (at least that's all I'm admitting to in public). Listen to Tom, he knows what he's talking about.
Ha Ha you're a year older than me!
I know how it feels to feel old. I still feel like a crazy 19 year old. You're an amazing person and I couldn't have made it through those tough times without you. And listen to Tom, you are beautiful and I am so glad that we both took jobs at horrible Iomega.
it is awesome. happy birthday!
Happy birthday again! Hope you are having a great visit with Jen!
I can sympathize with that feeling of suddenly thinking I'm old! For me it hits every time I have to do math to calculate my age.
You guys are so funny! :D Happy birthday Holly!!!! HOpe you got some fun in there somewhere :)
Happy Birthday!
Post a Comment