In my Reading class, we are reading a story about a girl who had so many seizures a day that she had to have a hemispherectomy (removal of half her brain). Today I was showing my students the short video clip of the girl prior to having her surgery and it was showing her having seizures. Suddenly, one of my students falls sideways out of her desk and hits the floor hard! She doesn’t respond or move when I call her name and ask if she is okay. I push the emergency button and send a student running for the nurse. This whole time, the student is still doing a face-plant in the carpet and not moving. The rest of my class is freaking out so I calm them down and have them go wait in the hall.
Oh man, I felt so helpless sitting next to her body while she just lay there. It felt like forever, but was only about 3 minutes before she came to and was able to respond. That was when the school nurse and principal came running in.
What are the chances that we would be watching a video of a girl having a seizure when a girl actually has a seizure? Part of me fears I set it off by having her sit in front of the flickering SmartBoard in the darkened classroom while she watched a girl have seizures. Also, we only read half the story and are supposed to finish it tomorrow. Not sure how I feel about revisiting the topic!
7 comments:
wow that's crazy! seriously what are the odds? hope she's alright.
Scary! Had she ever had them before?
oh no! That is terrible for everyone all around!! You'll have to tell us how everything goes tomorrow.
That is so frightening. Hope all is well with her now.
I know what you mean about scary! Wow - hoping she's okay.
Do you have copy writer for so good articles? If so please give me contacts, because this really rocks! :)
I am reading this article second time today, you have to be more careful with content leakers. If I will fount it again I will send you a link
Post a Comment