Wednesday, February 03, 2010

Treading Water

It has been a week since my last post, but I find myself barely making it these days. I already detailed my nights (although they aren't always that bad), but my days are just as exhausting. As soon as my alarm goes off at 4:45am it is go, go, go. Trying to get Ellie out of bed and dressed, packing Jack's bottles of expressed milk in a little cooler, trying to time his feeding and diaper change for AFTER he has his big blow-out...and then we are out the door and I am carrying my crazy heavy baby in his carrier with one arm and in the other arm I have my pump, purse, cooler, Jack's diaper bag, my lunch bag, and (depending on the day) Ellie's lunch bag or nap mat. It is a race to get them dropped off at daycare on time so I can be at my desk by 7am. Then, all day long I am on my feet teaching, taking 30 minutes for lunch, and spending my one conference period in the faculty restroom pumping. As soon as 3:00 rolls around, I am racing out the door to pick up the kids. As soon as we get home, it is washing bottles and pump parts, throwing in a load of laundry, nursing Jack, preparing dinner, cleaning up from dinner, washing dishes, bathing kids and putting them to bed, folding clothes, and packing bags for the next day. Tom and I then have about 1 hour where we can just sit and watch a little TV before it is time for bed and doing it all over again.

I know that time flies by, so I really do try to enjoy every stage of my life (sometimes easier said than done). I am so grateful that I am still able to nurse Jack because I really love that quiet time for just the two of us. And I have been trying to get Ellie more involved in the evenings. She likes to help me wash dishes, prepare dinner, and set the table. And then her bedtime routine is reading stories, singing her lullaby, and saying prayers. I try to enjoy the bedtime routine with her, but last night when she picked out the longest book with like 50 flaps to lift up on each page, I just passed it off to Tom and curled up on Ellie's bed for a little snooze.

Edit to add: Ok, so I typed this really fast and didn't give it a whole lot of thought. But now that I read it back, I realize it sounds incredibly whiny. Like, woe is me and my busy life. Please. I really just wanted to journal this stage in my life and my continuous struggle to balance work and motherhood. And, okay, to whine just a little bit.

8 comments:

Sabs said...

sounds crazy. betcha can't wait til spring break!

Dianna said...

what a BUSY DAY! Don't know how you do it. I complain when I have to get out of bed before 7. I better start rethinking my complaints.

Library Cat said...

I think you are allowed a tiny little bit of whining. I had four children (1 daughter and 3 sons) within ten years and there are times when I don't even remember who was how old when! So it is good to chronicle it. They are lovely children!
Donna

Unknown said...

Whining is totally called for and allowed! It is crazy busy!

Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to get less busy over time - just different busy. My days still feel like non-stop marathons and my youngest is almost 9 and I haven't had to work full-time since the last one was born.

You are wonder woman and don't forget it! It sounds like you are juggling everything really well.

Stephanie said...

Oh wow - what a blur! I'm just in awe of you.

Washing all those bottles and little pump parts used to get to me. My life became so much simpler when I stopped pumping at work (at 1 year). Also, having to remember all the STUFF - as you detailed - on the bits of sleep you've managed to scrape together through the night. You are such a survivor!

Elise said...

You are doing a great job. It is really hard...two kids and balancing life. You don't need to feel guilty for sharing and honest part of how your life is right now. Good luck, you're doing great.

Maddie said...

You have an unbelievable strength and are an example to me. I'll keep you in my prayers...

Hall Family said...

It doesn't sound whiny to me, just sounds like you are super busy!! I dont know how you do it!!! I'd have given up by now! I hope your weekends are really a down period for all of you!!! (I agree with Di, the whole of what you have to do to be in your desk by 7--I think thats what you said...wow!!!!!!)