Saturday, August 20, 2011

Back to school

When I filled out the paperwork to enroll Ellie in kindergarten, one question asked what type of teacher would work best for my child. I think I put something like, "firm but loving." What I should have put is "not male." Ellie does not do well with men. She gets giggly and hyper and hangs all over them. I know, not a good sign for things to come. I actually moved her out of tumbling and into gymnastics just to switch her from male to female instructors. So, when Tom and I took Ellie to Meet the Teacher this Thursday, we were really dismayed to hear Ellie has a male kindergarten teacher. Before we even met him, Tom was all, "You have to be the annoying parent who insists her child gets another teacher." But, once we met him our fears were laid to rest. He is no-nonsense...just what Ellie needs. And I must say, it was weird being on the parent side of meet the teacher.

Prior to meeting her teacher, I took her to get a feather extension. I was tempted to get one for myself as well, but I have a feeling that the majority of my students will be sporting them this year and there is nothing lamer than a teacher trying to be cool. After meeting her teacher, I took Ellie school shopping. As I was standing in the check out line, my mother-in-law magically appeared and insisted we keep shopping. She managed to find all these great deals I had somehow missed and then footed the bill for the entire expedition! Even though Ellie had plenty of clothes by this point, I still couldn't resist hitting Target for tax free weekend. I let Ellie pick out all her own clothes without objecting (her taste is very different than mine). With all these new clothes and a feather in her hair, my girl is set for kindergarten!

I have been busy all week trying to get ready for school, too. I was moved to a different classroom, so all my spare time was spent moving couches, filing cabinets, and tables around. I have to have 4 different stations in my room: computers, independent reading, small group, and whole group. I just couldn't seem to make it work like in my old room. Oh well, I did have fun printing and framing these posters I stole off pinterest:

Now I am just excited and a little anxious for Monday morning!



1 comment:

Heather at Kitchen Concoctions said...

Really, how on earth can Ellie be in kindergarten all ready!?! (I always promised myself that I would not be one of 'those' people who said such things but I really can't believe it!) Love the classroom posters and hope the first day went well for all!