Monday, October 31, 2016

In which I am too slow to catch a 3 year old

Y'all know how I always like to document the various ways I find to embarrass myself. Well, last Saturday I found myself in a particularly embarrassing incident.  Tom was at the regional cross country meet, so I had Ellie and Sam with me at Jack's 8am soccer game.  Sam wants so badly to play soccer on the team with the big boys and so I let him run around on the field while they were warming up. However, when it came time for the game to start, Sam refused to come off the field.  I walked out to get him, but he took off.  This is where it gets bad.  I have gotten quite chubby (even more than usual) as of late and I am really out of shape.  Plus, Sam is FAST.  So, picture this: all of the parents on the sideline waiting to start the game and watching me lumbering after my 3 year old who continues to evade me.  I realized I was beat so I walked over and had Ellie chase him down and grab him. Once she had him in hand, I picked him up and carried my giant, screaming preschooler off the field.  He continued screaming and flailing about until a parent brought over a bag of candy and gave him the entire bag to keep him content.  Not my finest moment, but good motivation for me to get in shape.

Sam is so challenging.  He has so many meltdowns and he continues to be the family tyrant.  I have mad love for the kid, but I must admit that he can be exhausting. He pushes every one to their breaking point. However, I stayed home from work with him on Friday because he had a high fever on Thursday.  It was just the two of us (starting at 2am since that is when he woke up fever-free and ready to go) all  day and, honestly, it was such a great day.  Sam on his own is manageable. I really enjoyed my day of just the two of us hanging out and watching TV together.  I'll have to try to remember how much I enjoyed hanging out with him the next time he is screaming at the top of his luncgs and refusing to come down the stairs unless all of us walk down AFTER him.
Thursday - a sick Sam passed out on my bedroom floor

Friday - folding laundry and watching "Poldark" at 2am with my miraculously healed child

Sunday Best

No comments: