Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Doctor office wisdom

What a day! I woke up at 2:00am this morning and was never able to get back to sleep. After spending the day in meetings that told me everything except what I needed to know, I picked up Ellie at daycare and took her to the doctor. I know from the vast amount of time I have spent in the pediatrician's office that afternoon appointments are a guaranteed minimum one hour wait. I was not disappointed. I arrived at 3:55 for my 4:10 appointment and the doctor saw us at 5:30. I cannot even begin to describe how difficult it was to contain Ellie in the waiting room. She naturally preferred the Well-Child area so she would bolt for that area every chance she got. Then the parents would spot her runny nose and mysterious red spots and glare at me for contaminating their children. And considering that I had been up since 2am and had only gotten 3 hours of sleep, not to mention that I am sick myself, I think I handled Ellie pretty well. And by handled, I mean I let her climb up on every surface in the sick child area. She rolled around on the filthy floor, tried to climb into a trashcan, and fell off a chair, somehow managing to get a huge red welt that the doctor immediately noticed (an hour later). But, the trip was worth it because my baby has a double ear infection and possibly strep throat.

I am an old pro at this, y'all. I made the appointment last Friday. The trick is to call the doctor within the first 24-48 hours of cold symptoms, but make sure to schedule the appointment for 3-5 days later. This way, you give the ear infection a chance to develop. If you take your child in too soon, they will send you away with nothing to show except a lighter pocketbook and empty promises of colds running their course in 7-10 days. Silly doctors.

8 comments:

Wendy said...

Poor Baby! I can't believe you had to wait that long!! I hope that she is feeling better super fast!

Becca said...

Bless her heart! Darn those day care cooties huh!

The one thing I love about our pediatrician is that we NEVER wait in the waiting room for more than 5 minutes. I may have to wait in the actual exam room, but it's nice not to have to chase her all over the waiting room.

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry! I am noticing a trend with the cold and ear infection too. Uggh. I can't believe you had to wait that long. I think I'd be looking for a new pediatrician.

Dianna said...

Poor Ellie! Sad times. What are you doing to do about work and Ellie? I can't believe you have to wait that long for your Dr. I start getting annoyed if we have to wait 30 minutes. I can't believe she has an ear infection in both ears and maybe strep. So Sad.

courtney said...

go straight for the tubes--they're miraculous!

Sabs said...

Poor Ellie! Poor HOlly! Hope she gets better soon! I think they're just trying to freak you out and then take up all the time you could use to prepare for teaching in those darn meetings. Daniel is always discouraged:)

Sachiyo said...

i can't believe she's getting so big! and thanks for the "welcome back" ha ha. I'll keep posting now that I'm in school...that's when I tend to blog the most. :)

betsy said...

OMG, i wouldve let TP lick the toys if thats what it would take to keep her distracted for that long in a waiting room...hope she's feeling better (and you too!) soon!!