Monday, March 30, 2009

How about some more daycare drama?

Things at Ellie's school had been going so well for the past several months. She was always happy about being dropped off, her teachers loved her, and I was only getting positive reports. But then they informed me that it was time to move her out of the Transition class and into the 3 year old class. Ellie's two best friends had already moved up and I was excited for her to rejoin them. Another bonus was that my tuition would go down by $50 a month. So, last week they moved her up. It did not go well. Every time I went in to pick her up, the teacher was always barking orders at the kids.
"Close your mouths! Absolutely no talking!"
"Sit on your bottoms right now!"
And the tone was very harsh. Maybe it came across more harsh because English is her second language, but we all know how I feel about tone of voice with toddlers. Ellie started resisting going to school and begging to go back to her old teacher's class. I would say in a bright voice, "But don't you want to be in the big girls' class with Hannah and Caitlyn?" "No,' she would always reply, "I want Ms. Yumi's class. Ms. Yumi loves me." Ellie also started telling Tom and I to "shut our mouths" and to "stop talking." You can guess how much we loved that.

So, once again I found myself in the uncomfortable position of talking to the director about a teacher. I know they just love me there. The end result? I got her moved back down to her old class for the remaining two months of school. Yeah, she will be the oldest kid in her class and I will still have to shell out that extra $50, but it was totally worth it to see how happy she was when I picked her up today.

5 comments:

courtney said...

Ugh....I feel for you because I have been there, too. Daycare can be so hard. Korley is moving up to a new class this week as well and I am having anxiety about her new teacher/class. So far everything is good, but I always fear the move.

Sabs said...

oh no! poor ellie! such meanie heads:)

Stephanie said...

I thought the Montessori method was supposed to be a little more constructive! How awful for her. Maybe this will give the teacher some time to adjust her methods before Ellie has to go to her class.

Chastity said...

I don't blame you a bit!!

Anonymous said...

Wow, that's not OK. I have not read blogs for a really long time! But I am catching up and was a little saddened by this one. I hope they talked to her about that!
And...I'm sorry you're not feeling well but hopefully you're at the point of turn-around.