I finally have a little bit of time to sit down and type. Tom has taken Ellie to the park, my mom is cooking dinner, and Jack is strapped to a bilirubin blanket that he has to stay on for up to 18 hours a day for jaundice. He is such a sweet little guy and doesn’t complain.

This is my birth story for Jack, like
Ellie’s birth story it is going to be long, but I like to document it all for journaling purposes. Feel free to just skip over all those words and check out the pictures instead!

Last weekend, I wasn’t feeling well. I had this constant headache and just an overall sense of exhaustion so I spent a lot of time in bed and no time getting my house in order or preparing for a baby. I had a doctor’s appointment Monday morning because when I had gone in the week before I complained about not seeing my actual doctor in 2 ½ months! I was really worried about having someone slice me open who hadn’t even seen me in forever. So they fit me in Monday morning. I dropped Ellie off at Tom’s cross country practice and made plans to meet up with them for lunch. Being the vain person that I am, I barely ate anything for breakfast so that my weight would appear lower. My appointment was fine. My blood pressure was high, but not scary high, and my urine was clear. However, I casually mentioned that I had this nagging headache and next thing I knew the doctor was sending me to the hospital to get my blood pressure monitored. I was more annoyed than concerned because I had so much to do that day but I headed over to the hospital to get strapped up to the machines. I had my G1 phone with me so I entertained myself on Facebook, typing stuff like “At hospital hooked up to monitors. Bored and hungry.” The baby was looking great on the monitors and my blood pressure was still high, but still not too high. I was having fairly regular contractions, but I had been having those for weeks. Still, my doctor ordered some blood work to be done so my hour on the machines turned to two. I cancelled lunch plans with Tom and Ellie and instead started contemplating all the things I needed to do before my c-section on Thursday. Suddenly, the curtain is pulled aside and there is my doctor telling me we are going to do my c-section today, right now, and to get changed! I went into panic mode. I wasn’t prepared; I didn’t even have a bag packed. I lived almost an hour from the hospital and Tom still had to drop Ellie off with Rosie! I called Tom up and told him to throw some things in a bag, call Rosie, and hurry to the hospital. Suddenly, Tom was acting crazy. He forgot everything, like where we store suitcases, how to dress Ellie, how to speak in complete sentences. For a one night stay, he ended up packing Ellie a bag that contained three pairs of pajamas and three pairs of panties. Nothing else. And he didn’t get anything I asked him to bring for me. While all this was going on, I was frantically texting people telling them the change in plans. I was also terrified. Throughout this pregnancy, I have had this fear that I was going to die during the surgery. So dramatic, I know, which is why I only shared that fear with Tom. Well, now I was being thrown into it without being able to mentally prepare myself. I wanted to tell everyone that I had changed my mind, that I no longer wanted to have a baby, and that I was just going to go home.
When Tom finally made it to the hospital, they rushed me back to surgery. It took them awhile to do the spinal and get me situated before they could let Tom in. I was so scared that whole time, even though I had gone through it all before. Once Tom came in, though, and they escorted him to a seat by my head, I felt much calmer. The surgery went fine, except that baby Jack could not fit through the incision and they ended up using the vacuum to get him out. One of the benefits of a c-section, I think, is the fact that you get babies with perfectly shaped heads. Another benefit is being able to schedule it at your convenience. Both benefits were ruined for me! However, once I heard Jack crying, I felt that same rush of happiness I felt with Ellie…just indescribable. I was able to hold him very briefly for a few pictures and then Tom and Jack went off to the nursery and I was taken to recovery.

Because I had been diagnosed with pregnancy induced hypertension (PIH, thus the reason for the fast track delivery) I had to be put on magnesium sulfate. That stuff makes you miserable and a little crazy. So crazy, in fact, that they won’t let you be alone with you child. Still, while in recovery, I found the time to update Facebook with “In recovery. Baby so cute! 9lb 5 oz, 21 in.” Because of the magnesium, they kept me in Labor and Delivery for 24 hours before moving me to Postpartum. I was a little out of it, but I received wonderful care from my very attentive nurses.
Tom was also with me for the entire hospital stay and he truly is the best. He comforted me during my late night panic attacks, changed all diapers, and was basically at my beck and call for four days straight. I am so lucky to have such a wonderful husband.

So, my birth story did not go exactly as planned, but I am so thankful that it went as smoothly as it did and that Jack is healthy (for the most part). He is so sweet and my fears of not being able to love him as much as Ellie have been proven to be unfounded. As for Ellie, she loves her baby brother and can’t get enough of him. I just couldn’t be happier with my little family.
12 comments:
Oh my goodness. This brought tears to my eyes- especially that last picture of Ellie & Jack! Congratulations on your beautiful new family of 4 and I can't wait to hear about your journey through this! xo!
Ok...first of all..impressed with the obedience and posting as soon as your old YW leader demanded. If only you'd had as much respect for me back then...Just kidding. You were always the picture of an ideal teen.
2ndly and a big one...he is a beautiful baby and I swear I'm not just saying that because I'm supposed to. It's not in my makeup to say things that I don't believe to be 100% true. You and Tom make adorable babies. I can't wait to meet and hold him...I will make sure we are completely healthy before that happens!
P.S....Jack even got "that's a good looking baby from York." He usually just says "huh". And the pictures are great. I love the one of the three of you on the table...that is priceless and the one of Tom and the baby nose to nose..too sweet. And I love how attentively he is looking at Ellie. I want to squeeze all of you!
He iS Adorable!! Great work mom (and dad)! I'm so glad things turned out well! So sorry for all the craziness! I panic over things too, and can really truly relate with your needing to be mentally prepared for things...I still think you're such a brave soul to have a C-section (any woman who has one, bleeh! I'm pretty sure I'd be sicker than sick!! haha) Congratulations again!!!!! And hopefully your recovery will go uneventful ;) as well as Jack's jaundice going away!
Oh my gosh! Jack is absolutely adorable! Honestly! He is really cute. Congratulations! I'm hoping you have a great recovery.
so cute and precious! we had to do the lights too -- such a pain. good luck with everything. love ya!
oh, he is so cute! what a sweet baby!!
glad everything went well with the delivery and all--even if it didn't happen in your timing! :)
Congratulations! I love to read all about it! I'm happy for you and your family, and that Ellie is excited with him too. I hope you recover well!
This is Jessica using Lily's account. You make they freakin' cutest kids in the world! And I have to say that in the picture of you three on the table you look stunning! I cannot wait to meet him (and Ellie)I miss you tons and tons. When are you done with maternity and when would be a good time to visit. I will take over full child care for Jack and Ellie.
I too, love the pic of Tom and Jack and the one of Ellie and Jack. You guys are such THE cutest family! I am so happy for you. I am glad they took such good are of y'all in the hospital but it is always good to be back home and being taken care of by your mom. I can't wait to come visit you and meet little Jack! (And I am very impressed that you have already blogged about this considering you just got home from the hospital!)
He is so dang cute!!!! One thing about your story... you said that Tom and Ellie rushed off to the nursery (not Tom and baby Jack) :) tee hee. I can not wait to come visit!!!! He better be off the blanket by then so I can hold him. He is SO PRECIOUS!!!!!
I love all the pictures...but I absolutely LOVE the first one of You, Tom, and Jack! Sooo cute.
Post a Comment