Friday, June 04, 2010

Prepare to be astounded (or maybe slightly impressed)

When I went on maternity leave way back in October, Ellie's teacher sent home a folder of Montessori work so Ellie wouldn't fall behind. I thanked her and then tossed it aside, because, really, how far behind can a 3 year old fall? Today is our first official day of summer and my child somehow finds the long lost folder and exclaims, "I forgot to do my work!" She pulled out a math worksheet and told me she needed "counters." I don't know what counters are (shut up, I teach Reading) so I told her to do something else. Yeah, we really encourage learning around here. Then, I went for a jog. When I got back, she proudly informs me that she is pretending her markers are counters. Seriously, I did not know she could do math. Sure, I saw the completed worksheets she would bring home from school, but I kind of thought the teacher was doing it for her. So, I have to show off because I was so impressed with her technique. Yeah, this is probably how y'all learned to add, but in small town North Dakota we just used our fingers.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

So impressive!

courtney said...

wow!! yes, i'm impressed! especially since i have a child the exact same age and the word "add" isn't even part of her vocabulary. korley went to a "montessori" school when we lived in lubbock, but i really didn't see any difference in her particular school compared to anything else. except they called play stuff "jobs". i'd love to put her in a real montessori this next year before she starts kindergarten.

way to go ellie!

Heather at Kitchen Concoctions said...

That is so awsome that she learns so much in preschool! She is such a smart little girl.

Hall Family said...

That is a really good preschool! She's up to speed for kindergarten!! :)

Sabs said...

a genius!! go ellie!!

Stephanie said...

That's the greatest thing I've seen lately - love it - totally impressed! Tate asked to watch this clip again and again. Good school + smart girl = math genius!