Saturday, March 12, 2011

Ramblings of the sleep deprived

I am officially on Spring Break and it is not going as planned. Friday was supposed to be an easy day at school. I was going to teach idioms to my ESL kids and then have them draw them while I sat on my butt and relaxed. But, my morning was just getting underway when I received that dreaded phone call from the daycare. Actually, they called our school's switchboard so I received the news via the intercom in my room. It is always a little scary when a voice comes unexpectedly through the ceiling. Especially when you have music playing while your kids draw and the Top 40 station you picked may or may not have been playing a slightly inappropriate song. But I digress. Apparently, Jack had a 102.3 fever and I needed to go get him immediately. So, once again I am running around trying to find a sub and then typing up a lesson plan for said sub. I walked into the daycare all indignant because I knew my kid was completely fine and ready to demand they check his temp with me present. Yeah, one look at the kid and a quick palm to his steaming, hot forehead and I slunk out of there in shame with both kids in tow. I called my little sis to cancel our plans for the night (hanging out eating brownies and pizza while our kids destroyed her house). Tom and her husband were going to the NCAA track meet together and we were looking forward to some girl-time. I think I must have jinxed her because she got a call from her daughter's elementary school a few minutes later saying to come get her because she was throwing up. So, for the third night in a row, I was home alone with the kiddos (Tom had track meets the previous two nights...have I mentioned how much I "love" track season?). Jack woke up crying every 30 minutes throughout the night. At 4:30 he decided he was up for good and was going to spend his day crying and demanding to be held. Of course, Tom is gone all day today at that darn NCAA track meet. Why do people run? Why?

I am so glad I have this blog so I can look back in my archives and reassure myself that Ellie was always sick, too, at this age and it does eventually get better. I just hope it gets better fast because I have all sorts of plans for Spring Break. Ellie is enrolled in swim lessons, we are going to the Rodeo, and my mom is coming to stay for a night so Tom and I can have a quick, romantic getaway to the exotic San Antonio Riverwalk.

Well, this is just going on and on and I am not sure it will make the cut when I turn 2011 into a blog book. I was going to write about Ellie's weird eating preferences and Jack answering no to everything, but I'll just save that super exciting post til next time.

1 comment:

Sabs said...

so sorry your weekend plans were runied. no fun! get well kisses to jackjack!