Sunday, June 23, 2013

The 'No TV' experiment

We just successfully completed a week without television in our home. And when I say no TV, I mean for the kids...no way are Tom and I going without TV. What triggered the whole TV thing is Jack. He has been awful lately. He says really mean things and is crazy emotional. I, of course, blamed the devil television because no way my son learned that kind of behavior from us. Tom and I are perfect, you see. So, I took away TV and it was surprisingly easy. The kids really didn't complain or seem to miss it that much. I also noticed they played together MUCH more and seemed to be fighting less. Jack's behavior also improved. I mean, he still had his meltdowns and behavior issues, but not as bad. However, I also have to admit that without the TV to rely on as a babysitter, I was forced to spend more intentional, quality time with him and that probably helped way more than the lack of television influence.

I grew up without TV. In high school, my dad did buy one, but it was only for movies and it didn't get any channels. I think for the summer I am going to continue my ban on television and just let the kids watch movies on it...you know, for when I REALLY need a break.

2 comments:

Mary Mathews said...

Way to go! Glad it seemed to help!

Unknown said...

That's awesome!

We grew up without a TV as well. I thought we were the only ones. I know it caused me to read a whole lot and I am very grateful for that! I wish I had the guts to get rid of ours but I think I am addicted!