Thursday, April 13, 2017

Dear Ellie on your 11th birthday

Dear Ellie,

Happy birthday!  April 13th will always be an extra special day for me because it is the day I became a mother.  I know I always tell you that, but it is true.

This past year, I noticed a shift in our relationship.  I felt a little awkward, like I wasn't sure how to interact with you.  At times, you were still my little girl who wanted to cuddle with me on the couch, but other times you were full-on moody teenager who just wanted to be alone in her room with her phone and iPad.  One thing that has really helped us, I think, is that we started watching "Gilmore Girls" together.  I know your dad always complains about us watching it and he thinks the topics are a bit too mature for you, but I think it has helped us move to this new phase of our mother-daughter relationship.  Almost every night, we cuddle up on the couch and watch an episode or two after the boys are in bed. When topics come up that are a little mature, we talk about them openly.  I know you love this time together, too, because you chose to stay home and have a Gilmore Girls marathon with me today instead of our normal day of pedicures and movies for your birthday.  I am so happy you still want to spend your birthday with your ol' mom.

I still rely on you a lot to help me with your brothers or to do things around the house.  You are so great that you almost never complain about it.  I honestly do not know what I would do without your help.

Although you are getting older and more mature, you are still the same in a lot of ways.  You still love stuffed animals and narwhals, you still read to fall asleep, you still don't care about fashion and prefer to wear leggings and t-shirts most days, you still like do soccer/softball/swim, and you still prefer to think of boys as just friends.  Next year you will be starting middle school and I know a lot of those things will change.  Please don't be in too much of a rush to grow up.  

Ellie, I just have to tell you how very proud I am of you. You are a funny, smart, and caring person. And you are dang fun to hang out with.  Thank you for spending your birthday with me.

Happy 11th birthday, my Ellie-belly!

Love you forever,
Mama

No comments: