Monday, April 03, 2017

Dear Sam at 4 years

Dear Sam,

4 years ago, you were placed in my arms and our little family was complete.

I'm not going to lie...I am welcoming age 4 with open arms.  Age 3 has always been a rough one for me with my kids and you were no exception.  Your dad and I have Googled "oppositional defiant disorder" more than once this past year, thinking that you might be a textbook case when it reality it is just a case of you being 3 and being the youngest child.

This past year you have gotten more affectionate.  You often will seek me or your dad out and ask to snuggle.  You like to play in the same room we are in and you always want to talk.  Lately, you have been so full of questions.  Sometimes we get on a loop of them and I feel like they will never end, but I love how curious you are about EVERYTHING.

A couple months ago, your dad took you to Monster Jam.  I wasn’t quite sure how you would like it because it is so loud and crowded, but you loved it!  Your started wanting to play monster trucks all the time and even built your own tracks with blocks.  For our birthday, you requested a monster truck-themed party (which you will be having next Saturday).
 
After Thanksgiving, we took away your nighttime pacifier and bedtime became a huge chore.  You fight it every night. But the one thing you love about bedtime is reading stories.  You usually have a favorite book that we read every night for a week until you move on to another favorite.  Curious George, Beauty and the Beast, and Goldilocks and the Three Bears have been on a heavy repeat the past few months.
 
You like to wake up very early and come into our bedroom and start demanding that we make you breakfast.  No amount of bribery or threats can persuade you to go back to bed and, inevitably, one of us with get up and go downstairs with you.  There have been many an early Saturday morning where I have had to remind myself over and over that this is a fleeting moment in your life and someday I will miss the sound of your little feet running into my room at 4:30 am.
 
You love to play with your older brother and sister.  Ellie is more patient with you and she tends to just go along with whatever you want.  You and Jack always start out having fun, but it always ends in some sort of shouting match, tears, and tattling.  You have a gift for teasing your older brother and making him lose his temper.  But, I love those little moments in between where you are getting along and I get a glimpse of the best friends you will be one day.
 
Sam, I adore your fiercely stubborn yet oh so lovable personality.  I am thankful every single day for my little April Fools baby. Happy birthday, Sam the Man.
 
Love you forever,
Mama

No comments: