Dear Ellie,
Today you turn two years old. It is hard for me to find the words to describe how you are at two years old. I want to paint this picture of your amazing little personality, your sweetness, your humor, but I am hopeless when it comes to taking my heart and putting it into words.
This past year has been one of language. Your vocabulary expands every day and you put it to good use ordering everybody around. You tell the dogs to stop barking, to eat their food, to sit down. You tell me to get you "water, no, milk, no, juice." Once I plopped down all three choices in front of you so you would quit vacillating between them all. You tell your daddy you want "a hug, another hug, a kiss, more kisses, just one more" as you stall at bedtime.
Your latest obsession is towels; big, fluffy, bath towels. You become so angry if I try to wrap you up in one of your baby towels with the hoodie. And even after you are dried off and in your jammies, you still ask me to wrap you up in the towel and you often fall asleep snuggled up in it. One morning last week you insisted on taking the big yellow towel in the car with you. I am not sure why a towel is so much better than your multitude of blankets. It has been difficult for me to reconcile this new, demanding person with the easy going baby you once were, but I love do your little big personality.
You are my fearless child. Nothing seems to scare you whether it is large animals, carnival rides, loud noises, or jumping off furniture into waiting arms. Your daddy is extremely cautious and I’m not exactly a daredevil so I am not really sure where you get your fearlessness from.
You still love food, all food. I have yet to discover a food that you don't like. Your ultimate favorites seem to be turkey dogs and macaroni and cheese (just like your mama!). You don't like to share your food either. If we pop a bag of popcorn, you demand the whole bag. If I try to sneak a handful, you stick out your little hand, palm facing outward, and forcefully demand, "No touch!" I am grateful that you aren't a picky eater, but we need to work on the whole sharing thing.
You still really enjoy going to school and you constantly amaze me with your knowledge of letters, numbers, colors, foreign languages...I hope you never lose your love of learning. I have discovered that everything is more fun with a toddler. Every outing is an adventure. Even the greasy black birds in the grocery store parking lots are exciting. “Look! A bird! Right there! By car! See, Mommy? See? A bird!”
Happy birthday, sweet girl. Thank you for making my world a better place.
Mama

6 comments:
That just made me cry a little.
I am so amazed at how much our girls are alike. So awesome!! We are so lucky.
Happy Birthday, Ellie!!
Aw, that is really sweet. I love the picture of Ellie poised to leap, leaning into thin air!
Happy birthday Ellie!
such a beautiful letter! i'm all teary-eyed:) you're such a great mama!
That is sooo cute! Happy Birthday Ellie!!
Happy Birthday Ellie!!! (You are soO Good with words!!! I love reading your blog! :))
Post a Comment