Tuesday, April 08, 2008

Uno, dos, tres (and a free book!)

Ellie was sitting on my lap last Saturday as I was on the computer. She was jabbering away as usual and I had kind of tuned her out. Suddenly, I realized that she was counting. In Spanish. That's right, I heard "Uno, dos, tres, quatro...diez." I was all, who is teaching you Spanish, child? Turns out, the kiddos get a Spanish lesson every Friday at her school. So, she can count to 14 in English and 10 in Spanish. I look at her and think she is too young to really understand all this stuff, but it is so amazing how much like sponges their little minds are! Hopefully, I can step up my game this summer since she will be home with me and not going to school. The only teaching I do with her is how to fetch things for me...like the remote control or toilet paper.

In other completely unrelated news, Meg Cabot's (author of Princess Diaries) publicist sent me 5 copies of How to Be Popular so I am giving one away over at A True Reality. Head on over if you'd like a chance to win!

6 comments:

Whitney said...

Evie does stuff like that all the time! Like she'll call out something that I KNOW I've never taught her the name of and I'm all, "Whaaa?? How do you know the name of this object??" I chalk it up to genius. Clearly, Ellie has this genius gene as well...

Chastity said...

I recently had a similar experience. I was clipping Lila's toenails, and I noticed she was counting her toes in Spanish, also to ten. She totally got it from Dora. I never even thought about teaching her Spanish yet.

Alex J said...

If she knows so much about how to be popular, how come I never heard of her?

Dianna said...

wow! starting to make me feel really bad that i'm not teaching kinleigh all these things at home. i better start playing school with her each day :) do i get a book? i can't come over and get it!

Sabs said...

such a smart cookie! i love it. Poor kolby, he's gonna have to wait til preschool to start learning anything:)

Anonymous said...

Wow, that's impressive! Jenna can't even count in English. Today she said "pocket" and pointed to the pocket on my shirt, and I thought that was impressive because I've never taught her that. Poor thing is stuck with me 24/7 though, and she doesn't seem interested in anything I try to teach her. :)