The funeral was sad. The lady in the casket did not look like my grandma, but when I saw my grandpa leaning over the coffin of the woman he had spent the last 59 years with, well, my heart just broke. After the funeral, we went out to the gravesite. I watched as my brothers and dad solemnly carried my grandmother's coffin. My heart was heavy and the tears flowed. But then, well, I can't really explain what happened next. Maybe it was the lack of sleep or the emotional toll of the day, but while the minister was speaking, my mind drifted to an image of my sister coming out of the bathroom with the back of her skirt tucked into her underwear. I could not stop the laughter so I just tried to cover my mouth and hope people assumed the shaking shoulders were due to sobs.
After the funeral, we went to eat at my grandma's church. It was so nice being with my family. I can't remember the last time it was just the core nine of us sitting around a table together. It was so great just laughing and talking and sharing memories of grandma.
Then, we went back to my grandparents' house. It has been more than 7 years since I have been out there (it seemed they were always coming to us), but it looked exactly the same and my childhood memories of playing and exploring came flooding back. My sisters, aunts, mom, and I had the task of going through my grandmother's things and boxing them up. My grandma loved to shop and she had a lot of clothes, filling the closets of three different rooms. She also loved jewelry and everyone was able to pick a ring to remember her by.
After much too short of time, my brothers and I piled back into the car and made the long, uneventful drive home. It was so nice coming home to a clean house (thanks to my fabulous husband) and an excited toddler. Ellie wrapped her arms tight around my neck and for the first time unprompted, she said "I love you."
4 comments:
this post is so beautiful holly! the pictures, the writting....everything!
I'm sure that was a very emotional couple of days. Thanks for sharing!
Speaking of Council Bluffs...I just painted and mailed a nursery painting for someone there.
Holly, I am so sorry about your grandma. It looks like it was a beautiful funeral. I think loosing someone is like dropping a rock in water -- your emotions go up and down like a wave. There are times you feel joy with warm memories and times of heartache and sadness. I love you. Thanks for your support.
What beautiful photos.
Best wishes.
Post a Comment