Friday, February 07, 2014

Just Jack

Jack tried to go to bed naked again last night, but all it took was the offer to let him sleep in his day clothes (shorts and t-shirt) and he was fully clothed for bed!  Bonus, I didn't need to get him dressed this morning,  although I will admit is is a little too cold for shorts.  Today isn't a preschool day and my babysitter won't judge.

He did ask me this morning if it was "very cold out or a little cold out." When I said it was very cold out he then asked me "how long until a shooting star."  I explained that shooting stars are unpredictable and only happen at night.  He sighed and said, "I wanted to wish for only a little cold."  I love the way his mind works.

I sometimes worry about my Jack.  He is so sensitive and emotional.  I readily admit that I am not the best at parenting an emotional child.  My family is not very comfortable with emotions. My siblings and I are super close, but we don't hug or kiss or even say I love you that often.  We prefer to show how much we care through actions.  For example, when I moved into my house, my family helped me move.  After a long day of loading and unloading a moving truck in the Texas heat, my brother then proceeded to mow our lawn.  It didn't even really need to be mowed, but I knew it was just his way of showing me how happy he was that we had moved closer and that he loved me.  The rest of my family was busy unpacking all the boxes and putting my house in order.  Personally, I think actions are way better than words.  Especially when moving.

Wow, I totally got off on a tangent. So...Jack.  Yeah, he has a lot of emotions.  And I am trying my best to be more sensitive and patient.  Luckily, he makes it easy on me by being so freaking adorable!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

You expressed that perfectly. My family is the same way. I'm awful at emotions and have all the patience in the world until someone starts crying then I turn into a witch. It's seriously like a switch goes off. It's amazing Darby has made it to 18 without some serious emotional problems and it's a really good thing that I only had one girl.