Wednesday, November 12, 2014

The Barbie dilemma

Yesterday, I was walking with Ellie and I asked her what I should buy Jack for Christmas.  She said I should buy him more Barbies.  Jack really does like his Ken dolls.  He likes to dress them up and do imagination play.  I don't see anything weird about this.  He also loves his Superhero men and his Imaginext toys.  I can see how Ken appeals to him because he can also change his outfits.  However, when people hear that Jack likes Barbies, they get all weird about it.  He brought his Ken Barbie all dressed in a suit to church with him last Sunday and I received some comments about it.  Poor boys, they get a raw deal.  Ellie can play with "boy" toys and even dress up as a boy character for Halloween and no one bats an eye.  Jack wants to play with a male doll and it is questioned. 
Anyway, I was looking on Amazon today because I thought Jack might like a little boy Barbie (like Skipper, but a boy), but I couldn't find one.  Then I looked for more outfits for Ken and they were surprisingly scarce.  I am not really sure where I am going with all this except that I think gender stereotypes and expectations are lame.

No comments: