Dear Ellie,
Happy 9th birthday! You were so excited for your birthday last night. As I was tucking you into bed, you told me that all you could think about was presents and that made you feel a little guilty because it seemed greedy. I told you that I should be getting presents since I was the one that gave birth to you! But, seriously, you know how much I love your birthday. I always tell you that it is my favorite day of the year because it is the date I first became a mom.
I stayed up late last night decorating the kitchen in various shades of green party decorations since you are currently obsessed with the color green. Your main birthday gift was a basket full of green goodies. You also had some gifts from your daddy, who ignored me when I said you already had enough presents and went and bought you two more on his own.
Ellie, you are growing into such a lovely young lady. You are funny, smart, kind, pretty, and witty. You still love to read and always have your nose in a book. I find your books all over the house - in the bathroom, kitchen, playroom, everywhere! And while I get after you for not picking them up, it reminds me so much of myself when I was your age. Actually, I still leave my books everywhere, too, so I can't get after you too much.
You are really excelling in school. You have yet to receive anything lower than an A on your report card and you are going on your 3rd year of perfect attendance. I am actually surprising you today by checking you out of school so we can go celebrate your birthday, but I have to wait until 10 because I don't want to ruin your perfect attendance! I am proud of your grades, but I am even more proud of your behavior in school. Gone is the girl who came home from kindergarten every day with marks on her conduct card. Your teachers love you and always comment on how helpful you are. You recently went to your art teacher and asked if you could be her helper before school since you are there so early. You now go in and sharpen pencils and clean up for her.
Another gift you have is with the little ones. Kids love you. You are so sweet and gentle with babies and young kids. You told me you were famous at school
and I thought you were joking. But then I went to an after school function and kid after kid kept running up to you for hugs. When we are at your brother's practices or swim clinic, you entertain the younger siblings of his teammates. I love watching you with the little ones, especially with your brother Sam.
Ellie, I often get after you for not cleaning up after yourself, for talking back, for questioning me, and for not obeying the first time. But I hope you also know how thankful I am for you and how amazing I think you are. You are my Ellie-belly, my little Choo-Choo, and I will love you forever. No matter what.
Happy birthday, my sweet girl.
Love,
Mom


No comments:
Post a Comment