Tuesday, April 14, 2015

The best day of Ellie's life

Yesterday was a day that Ellie proclaimed many times over to be the best day of her life.  I surprised her by checking her out of school at 9:30 - after her teacher takes attendance so as not to ruin her perfect attendance record.  We then went to breakfast at Denny's where she chowed down on all her favorite foods.  Then I gave her the choice of going to the movies or going to get manicures and pedicures. She chose the movie so we went to the matinee of Home. After, we met up with Tom for ice cream at Cold Stone.  We still had more time before having to pick up the boys, so I decided to do the manicures/pedicures after all.  Ellie told me, "I am being spoiled rotten today."  If you can't be spoiled on your birthday, when can you?


The day was awesome and I loved spending it one-on-one with Ellie.  The evening was not so awesome.  Tom had a track meet so I had to take the kids to swim clinic from 4-6. Jack also had a t-ball game that started at 6:30.  Picture me in the cramped, hot, outdoor bathroom trying to peel Jack out of his swimsuit and into his baseball uniform, all while trying to keep Sam from throwing things in the toilet.  Good times.  Because it was past his bedtime, Sam was so tired and cranky during the game.  He did not want to sit in his stroller, but he wouldn't stay near me either.  It was so stressful trying to keep tabs on him and still be near Jack's game in case I was needed (I gave up on watching).  I did catch him at bat one time.

 Ellie saw some friends on the playground so she took off over there, but she wouldn't watch Sam because she wanted to play.  I got pretty annoyed with her, but it was her birthday and I do put a lot of Sam responsibility on her.  By the time we got home and I was able to get the kids bathed and in bed, it was 2 hours past their bedtime.  Everyone was cranky. Except Ellie. She was still riding the high of being spoiled all day.  I was able to end the evening on a high note by reading her her Dr. Seuss Happy Birthday book that I bought her for her 6th birthday.  I think her birthday was a success.

No comments: