Thursday, April 16, 2015

In which I feel like a failure

So, yesterday happened. It was the kids' last day of swim clinics and they were being evaluated for swim team.  I knew Jack would not make the team and I knew Ellie would since she swam the past two years. But I wanted to see how well Jack did and I wanted to see what skill level Ellie would be placed in.  Sam had other plans. He did ok for most of Jack's clinic, but then he decided he wanted to go home. When I wouldn't take him home, he started throwing one of his loud, screaming fits.  When Sam throws his fits, he doesn't stop unless he gets what he wants.  The kid has stamina like no other.  Most kids his age can be distracted by toys or snacks or even comforted...not Sam.  He just goes on and on, my friends. Since we couldn't leave the clinic because Ellie hadn't even started yet, I just ignored Sam and let him sit in the field behind us and scream.

Side note: parents are not allowed to be in the pool area during clinic so the parents set up camp in the empty field outside the pool gates.

Ok, so Sam is screaming and screaming and the moms I am with understand because we are all friends, but the other moms that are nearby and don't know me are thinking that Sam is in serious distress and I am a terrible mother for not trying to comfort him.  They don't know that Sam cannot be comforted. But after two moms questioned me about him and offered "advice" I went over and picked him up. So, I am walking around holding my squirming, screaming, 40 pound 2 year old and then Jack comes over crying and says he stepped in fire ants.  I look at his foot and, sure enough, it is covered with fire ants. I put down the screaming Sam and try to get all the ants off Jack. Now I have two crying kids and Ellie's clinic has only just started.  At this point, I am done.  I turn to Sabrina, ask her to bring Ellie home after practice, and then just leave.

Another side story: Yesterday when I picked up Sam, Ms. Donika told me they were playing outside and Sam got mad about some little thing. She was sitting there letting him throw his fit, when the bus pulled up to drop off the 1/2 day kids. A mom at the stop saw Sam screaming, but didn't see Donika so she ran over to Sam's aid (thinking he must be terribly hurt, judging by his screams). Donika's dog saw a strange lady going for Sam so the dog ran over and bit the lady's stomach.

Tom got home last night a little after 9:30, but the kids and I were all sound asleep because I could not do my day any longer.

Y'all, I see people with 3+ kids all the time at these sort of things and they make it seem so effortless.  I feel like I am doing something wrong.  I seriously try to be so prepared.  I pack the iPad so Sam can watch Elmo, I pack toys, snacks, drinks...everything I can think of and still we keep having these sort of scenarios. I feel like I do a pretty good job maintaining a calm exterior (putting my teacher-training to use, never let them see you lose control), but inside I am losing my mind.

No comments: