Monday, March 02, 2015

Weekend recap

Tom had a track meet on Saturday so he left before the kids woke up and didn't get home until after they were in bed. It was up to me to take them to their back-to-back practices (totaling 3 hours) and I was not looking forward to the cold weather and trying to corral Sam. The thing with Sam is that he is very, very heavy. And he can wriggle and fight with the best of them if you are taking him somewhere he doesn't want to be. In this case, it is the baseball fields because he wants to be at the adjoining park. For Ellie's practice, this isn't a big deal because, even though they want the parents there helping out, they don't REALLY need me to be there. Jack's practices are a different story. It is frowned upon to just leave them at that age. Plus, Jack is still a little squirrely at practices and often needs my redirection. Since it was so cold on Saturday, I had the genius idea to let Ellie and Sam play in the back of the (locked) SUV (don't worry, I didn't leave the keys) while I watched Jack's practice a few feet away. Jack was wiggling and dancing around in the outfield so I walked over to see if he needed to use the restroom. He assured me he didn't. I asked again. Again, he said he didn't. You see where this is headed? So, I decided to walk back to the car to check on the kids. Ellie told me she needed to use the restroom so the three of us walked over to the pool area to use their restrooms. I was gone maybe 5 minutes max. When I got back to the field, the coach told me they had been looking all over for me and that Jack had peed his pants. Yes. He peed his pants WHILE I was in the bathroom with both his siblings. It did get me out of the last 30 minutes of practice, though, because it was too cold to let him run around in wet pants. I didn't take any pictures. Some things don't need to be preserved for posterity.

That night, I decided to watch The Swiss Family Robinson with the kids since Netflix would be retiring it March 1. When I was 10, we went to Disneyland and my parents let each of us pick a souvenir. Being the nerd that I am, I picked a book...The Swiss Family Robinson. I proceeded to read it about 5 million times. I really wanted to live on a deserted island with exotic animals. And I REALLY wanted to ride an ostrich (until I went to an ostrich farm as an adult and realized how dangerous they actually are). Anyway, the kids LOVED the movie, but, once again, I was reminded the childhood faves are often pretty ridiculous when viewed as adults. Oh well. I did pull my 26 year old copy of Swiss Family Robinson off the bookshelf for Ellie to read. She did and has already finished it.



Sunday was church as usual. I always attempt to color-coordinate the kids and I for church. Not really make them all matchy-matchy (although you know I love that, too), but at least make their colors go together. Don't ask me why, my brain just likes it. Anyway, this time I actually jumped in the #sundaybest shot because I was so proud of my coordinating skills. And, yes, I do know that church is more than just a fashion show (as a friend so nicely pointed out on facebook awhile back). 

Oh yeah, and then Tom broke the Sabbath and took Ellie and Jack to go see McFarland, USA. He hadn't seen the kids all weekend and really wanted to spend time with them. The kids loved the movie and Tom LOVED the movie. He even admitting to getting teary-eyed at the end. Awww, my cute coach-husband...I kind of adore him.

No comments: